Apr 17, 2017
The Muskingum baseball team swept the Bethany College Bison in non-conference action on Monday. Muskingum won the opener 8-5 and claimed the nightcap, 4-2.
- Records: Muskingum (14-14 overall), Bethany (10-18-1overall)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio - Mose Morehead Field
- Muskingum was led at the plate by senior Dallas Allen going 1-for-1 with four RBI's and a home run.
- Senior Joe Shumar finished the contest 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- Senior Matt Lynn also found success at the dish going 1-for-3 with two RBI's.
- On the mound, Brandon Bush improved to 5-0 overall on the season pitching a complete game striking out five.
- Muskingum plated eight runs on eight hits.
- Bethany was led by Ryan Nickerson going 2-for-4 with two RBI's.
- Alex Fenstermaker dealt the loss for the Bison throwing three innings allowing five runs on five hits.
- Bethany struck first in the contest plating two runs in the top of the first inning.
- Muskingum responded in the bottom half of the inning as senior Austin DeVore, Shumar and Allen all recorded a RBI, 3-2.
- The Muskies tacked on two more runs in the bottom of the third inning as Allen homered to left field, 5-2.
- Muskingum scored its final run of the contest in the bottom of the fifth as Lynn posted a RBI single en route to the win.
- DeVore led the Muskies in game two going 2-for-3 with two RBI's.
- Sophomore Nate Mejia finished the game 1-for-1 with a run scored.
- Sophomore Evan Hinds (3-4 overall) collected the win on the mound, pitching 6.1 innings surrendering two runs on six hits.
- Junior Kyle Schmitgen recorded his fourth save of the season, allowing one hit.
- The Bison were led by John Lee going 1-for-3 with two RBI's.
- The Muskies jumped out to the early 2-0 advantage in the bottom of the first inning following a triple by DeVore.
- Muskingum added an insurance run in the bottom of the third inning and one in the fourth inning as Mejia homered to left center, 4-0.
- Bethany scored two runs in the top of the sixth before Schmitgen retired the side.
- The Muskies return to action Wednesday, April 19 when they host Ohio Athletic Conference foe Mount Union. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.