Mar 21, 2017
The Muskingum baseball team and Bethany split a twinbill on Tuesday at Bethany Park. The Muskies won the opener 11-6 and dropped game two in extra innings, 5-4.
- Records: Muskingum (6-7 overall), Bethany, W.V. (5-6-1 overall)
- Location: Bethany, W.V. - Bethany Park
- Weather: 40 degrees and overcast
- Muskingum captured the early 3-0 advantage in the top of the first inning as sophomore Michael Pagano plated the game's first run off a sacrifice fly to left field. Later in the inning, senior Austin DeVore doubled to left center scoring two more runs for the Muskies.
- Bethany tied the contest in the bottom of the first inning, 3-3.
- The Muskies blew the game wide open in the top of the fourth inning as they tacked on four runs following RBI's by senior Dallas Allen, freshman Holden Martin, junior Eddie Harper and senior Joe Shumar.
- Muskingum continued to have success at the dish as they added four more runs in the top of the sixth inning.
- The Muskies scored 11 runs on 15 hits and tallied 11 RBI's. Martin led the way going 2-for-4 with 3 RBI's.
- Freshman Thomas Green recorded his first career win for Muskingum, pitching 2.2 innings and surrendering just two runs on five hits.
- Bethany was paced by Zack Miller who went 2-for-3 with 3 RBI's.
- Cody Gross tossed the loss for the Bison lasting 3.1 innings, allowing six runs on four hits.
- Bethany used a four-run bottom of the first to propel them past Muskingum en route to the split.
- The Muskies battled back scoring one run in the fourth, two in the fifth and one in the sixth to tie the contest at 4-4. Sophomore Nate Mejia led the way with a homerun in the fourth followed by a single from senior Matt Lynn that scored two runs in the fifth inning.
- Bethany answered scoring the game-winning run in the bottom of the eighth inning.
- Muskingum scored four runs on eight hits. Lynn finished 2-for-4 with two RBI's to lead the Muskies.
- Junior Kyle Schmitgen took the loss for Muskingum throwing 7.1 innings, surrendering one run on two hits.
- Bethany was led by Ryan Nickerson who went 2-for-4 with 2 RBI's.
- Isaac Wengert claimed the win for the Bison, pitching 2 innings allowing one run on one hit.
- Muskingum returns to action Saturday as they open Ohio Athletic Conference play at Wilmington. First pitch of the twinbill is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.