Posted: Nov 05, 2019
The 11th-ranked Muskingum volleyball team dominated Marietta on Tuesday in a sea of white in the OAC Tournament Quarterfinals, 3-0 (25-20, 25-16, 25-18). The White Out game victory propelled the Muskies to the OAC Tournament Final Four on Thursday.
- Records: Muskingum (26-2), Marietta (14-15)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio – Anne C. Steele Center
- Time: 1:30
- Attendance: 400
- The Muskies next host the three-seed Otterbein on Thursday, November 7, in the OAC Tournament Semifinals. Start time is slated for 7:00 p.m. All fans are encouraged to wear black to the game.
- Muskingum will host a second-round OAC Tournament contest on Thursday, November 7, at 7:00 p.m. against three-seed Otterbein. The game will be a Black Out. The Muskies defeated the Cardinals on Saturday, October 26, on Senior Day, 3-1 (25-18, 25-21, 19-25, 25-17).
- Muskingum finished the regular season tied for first in the league with ONU, which gave Muskingum its first regular-season championship since 1999.
- The Muskies are off to their best start since the 1999 campaign.
- Muskingum is currently ranked 11th, which marks Muskingum's highest national ranking since 2000.
- The Muskies have won 13 straight matches.
- This triumph marked Muskingum's 18th straight-set victory.
How it Happened
- The Muskies secured set one (25-20), dominated in set two (25-16), and took three (25-18).
- As a team, Muskingum registered 48 kills, 45 assists, and 56 digs.
- Junior Maddie McGee guided the Muskies with 15 kills on 31 attempts, registering a blistering .355 hitting percentage.
- Junior Brooke Fatheree chipped in 15 kills and dished out 16 digs.
- Juniors Jada Briggs and Brynn Guist tallied seven kills each.
- Junior Erin Dickson notched a game-high 42 assists.
- Junior Jessica Cottle anchored the Muskie backline with 17 digs.
Inside the Sets
- In set one, the Muskies and Pioneers battled side by side with neither team taking more than a three-point lead early on. Muskingum tallied four straight points to jump out to a 13-9 lead. Marietta retaliated with back-to-back points to get within two-points (18-16) of the Muskies. Muskingum then recorded a 4-1 run en route to the 25-20 victory.
- In set two, the Muskies tallied a 7-1 run to slide past Marietta with a score of 12-4. Muskingum recorded four straight points to expand the lead to 16-5. Marietta fought to close the gap, but the Muskies continued to control play. Muskingum secured the last two points to take set two with a score of 25-16.
- The Muskies continued to dominate in set three with six consecutive points to give them a nine-point (13-4) edge on the Pioneers. Marietta retaliated with an 8-4 run to get within six points of the Muskies (18-12). The Pioneers attempted to close the gap, but the Muskie momentum could not be halted. A kill by McGee locked in Muskingum's 13th straight victory.