Oct 20, 2018
The Muskingum volleyball team fell to Otterbein 3-1 (20-25, 25-20, 21-25, 23-25) and fifth-ranked Thomas More 3-1 (25-22, 15-25, 13-25, 19-25) on Saturday.
- The dual match was hosted by Otterbein.
- Muskingum now stands 21-5 overall and 5-2 in the OAC.
- The Muskies host Marietta on Tuesday, October 23 at 7:00 p.m.
- Senior Jordan Youngs recorded her 1,000 career dig.
- Muskingum arrived at Otterbein one game back of the first place Cardinals in the OAC.
- Thomas More was ranked fifth in the latest AVCA Top 25 Poll.
Otterbein 3-1 (20-25, 25-20, 21-25, 23-25)
- In the first set, the Muskies and Cardinals battled neck and neck with neither team taking more than a two-point lead early on. Otterbein registered three points in a row to put them ahead 21-18. The Muskies fought back, but were unable to stop the Cardinals. Otterbein recorded the final point to take the set.
- In the second set, the Cardinals took an early lead of 9-6 and later expanded the gap 15-11. The Muskies answered back with a 6-2 run to tie up the contest 17-17. Muskingum registered back-to-back points to lock in the 25-20 victory.
- In the third set, Otterbein took an 11-9 lead over the Muskies. The Cardinals registered a 6-1 run to increase their advantage. Muskingum trimmed their deficit some, but Otterbein was able to secure the set with a score of 25-21.
- In the fourth and final set, the Cardinals came out hot and took an early lead of 14-11. The Muskies tallied a 9-6 run to tie up play 20-20. The Muskies continued to battle but Otterbein could not be halted. A kill by A. King-Mendenhall notched the 25-23 win for the Cardinals.
- The Muskies were led by sophomore Brooke Fatheree who registered 17 kills, 13 digs, and 18 points.
- Sophomore Brynn Guist added 14 kills, while freshman Carson Miller recorded 11.
Sophomore Erin Dickson directed the offense with 44 assists.
The defensive efforts were led by sophomore Jessica Cottle who secured 20 digs.
- Youngs locked in 18 digs.
- As a team Muskingum logged 52 kills, 50 assists, and 74 digs.
Thomas More 3-1 (25-22, 15-25, 13-25, 19-25)
- In set one, the Saints took an early lead of 6-0 and later expanded the gap 17-9. The Muskies answered with a ferocious 10-2 run to advance past the Saints with a score of 19-18. Thomas More fought back, but the Muskies could not be halted. A block by Guist and Fatheree secured the win for the Muskies.
- In set two, the Saints recorded back-to-back points to put them ahead 15-10. The Muskies fought to trim the deficit, but the Saints continued to control the play. Thomas more locked in the 25-15 victory.
- In the third set, the Saints jumped out to an early lead of 9-5. The Saints recorded a 12-4 run to widen the deficit for the Muskies. A kill by Carlee Lambert notched the 25-13 victory for the Saints.
- In the fourth set, Thomas More came out hot and took the lead 14-10. The Muskies chipped away at the differential, but the Saints recorded the last point to take the set.
- Fatheree guided the Muskies with 13 kills, 14 digs, and 17 points.
- Guist added 9 kills.
- Dickson recorded a team-best 34 assists.
- The backline was anchored by Cottle who had 19 digs and Youngs who had 18.
- As a team the Muskies notched 41 kills, 38 assists, and 75 digs.