Posted: Feb 13, 2019
The Muskingum University women's basketball team withered against Marietta this evening, 72-52. The Muskies held their annual Pink Game to bring awareness and raise money for breast cancer research.
- Records: Muskingum (1-23 overall, 0-17 OAC), Marietta (16-8 overall, 11-6 OAC)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio – Anne C. Steele
- Sophomore Emily Yeager led the team in scoring with 16 points, shooting 6-of-13 (46.2%) from the field and 2-of-2 (100.0%) at the free throw line.
- Junior Devyn Bonner added 12 points.
- Sophomore Alivia Bates grabbed seven rebounds.
- Muskingum ended the contest shooting 19-of-57 (33.3.%) from the field, which included hitting 4-of-21 (19.0%) from behind the arc.
- Shay Lett directed the Pioneers with 14 points.
- The Pioneers had four players who recorded double-digit points.
- Marietta went 24-of-65 (36.9%) from the field and 15-of-21 (71.4%) at the free throw line.
- In the first quarter, the Muskies registered back-to-back points to jump out to an early 12-9 lead. Marietta answered back with five consecutive points to slide past Muskingum with a score of 16-14. In the last four minutes of the quarter, the Muskies and Pioneers traded baskets with neither team gaining more than a two-point lead. Yeager drilled a layup to give Muskingum a two-point edge (22-20) on the Pioneers going into the second quarter. The contest remained tight until Marietta registered a 9-4 run to shoot past the Muskies with a score of 35-28. Muskingum cashed in a layup to trim the deficit 35-30 going into the break.
- The Pioneers took control of the outing in the third quarter with a 25-9 run en route to the 72-52 victory over the Muskies.
- The Muskies next host Ohio Northern on Saturday, February 16 at 3:00 p.m. Muskingum will honor seniors Morgan Gossett and Zijing Xu and senior cheerleader Hannah Doore prior to the start of the contest.