Posted: Jan 12, 2019
The Muskingum women's basketball team narrowly fell to the Heidelberg Student Princes this afternoon, 66-61.
- Records: Muskingum (1-14 overall, 0-8 in the OAC), Heidelberg (8-7 overall, 4-4 in the OAC)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio – Anne C. Steele Center
- Junior Devyn Bonner propelled the Muskies with a double-double. Bonner tailed 18 points and grabbed 14 rebounds.
- The sophomore tandem of Sam Filiaggi and Emily Yeager added 10 points each.
- Filiaggi notched nine rebounds.
- Muskingum ended the contest shooting 22-of-65 (33.8%) from the field, which included hitting 5-of-14 (35.7%) from behind the arc.
- Brittanie Ulmer led the Student Princes with 15 points, while Brooke Beamer produced 14.
- Heidelberg ended the contest shooting 23-of-56 (41.1%) in the field and 15-of-22 (68.2%) from the free-throw line.
- Muskingum and Heidelberg both had three players who recorded double-digit points.
- In the first quarter, the Muskies and Student Princes traded baskets with neither team gaining more than a four-point lead early on. At the 4:06 juncture, Filiaggi connected a bucket to push Muskingum past Heidelberg with a score of 12-7. The Student Princes fought back, but the Muskies were able to fend them off. The score read 12-9 going into the second quarter. With 9:39 remaining, Ulmer fired in a jump shot to ignite a 12-4 run for the Student Princes making it 23-16. Heidelberg managed to stay in front of the Muskies during the final minutes of the quarter and went into the intermission with a six-point lead (28-22).
- In the first five minutes of the third quarter, the Muskies fired in back-to-back field goals to lessen the gap, 36-32. At the 1:20 minute mark, Bonner cashed in a free-throw to get the Muskies within two-points of the Student Princes (39-37). In the fourth quarter, the contest remained tight until the Student Princes tallied a 12-9 run to remain ahead with a score of 60-52. The Muskies chipped away at the differential, but Heidelberg could not be halted. Alyssa Riley unleashed a pair of free-throws to secure the 66-61 victory for the Student Princes.
- The Muskies next host the Wilmington Quakers on Wednesday, January 16. Start time is slated for 7:00 p.m.