Jan 09, 2019
The Muskingum women's basketball team suffered a loss to Mount Union on Wednesday evening, 70-55.
- Records: Muskingum (1-13 overall, 0-7 OAC), Mount Union 12-2 overall, 5-2 OAC)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio - Anne C. Steele
Inside the Numbers
- Freshman Erica Hyre led the team in scoring with 16 points, shooting 5-of-10 (50%) from the field and 3-of-5 (60%) at the free throw line.
- Freshman Olivia Lang chipped in nine points.
- Hyre grabbed a team-high seven rebounds, while freshman Sarah Miller notched six.
- Muskingum ended the contest shooting 22-of-61 (36.1%) from the field, which included hitting 5-of-24 (20.8%) from behind the arc.
- Rachel Tinkey directed the Purple Raiders with 17 points.
- The Purple Raiders had three players who recorded double-digit points.
- Mount Union went 27-of-68 (39.7%) from the field and 7-of-9 (77.8%) at the free throw line.
- In the first quarter, the Muskies and Purple Raiders battled neck-and-neck with neither team gaining more than a three-point lead early on. Mount Union drilled back-to-back points to jump ahead 15-9 with 2:18 to play. Tori Rappach knocked down a long ball to expand the gap 18-10 going into the second quarter. With 8:15 on the clock, Elena Rauche connected a layup to ignite a 10-8 run for Mount Union making it 37-20. The Muskies answered back with an 8-0 surge to trim the deficit 37-28 at the half.
- In the third quarter, the Muskies chipped away at the deferential but the Purple Raiders were able to fend them off. With less than a minute remaining, sophomore Emily Yeager cashed in a layup to lessen the gap 50-46 going into the final quarter. The Purple Raiders took control of the outing in the fourth quarter with a 10-0 run en route to the 70-55 victory over the Muskies.
- The Muskies next host Heidelberg on Saturday, January 12. Start time is slated for 2:00 p.m.