Posted: Nov 24, 2018
The Muskingum women's basketball team slipped at Oberlin on Saturday afternoon, 72-63.
- Records: Muskingum (0-5 overall), Oberlin (3-2 overall)
- Location: Oberlin, Ohio – Philips Gym
Inside the Numbers
- Junior Devyn Bonner led the team in scoring with 21 points, shooting 8-of-16 (50%) from the field and 5-of-8 (62.5%) at the free throw line.
- Sophomore Emily Yeager logged 13 points, while sophomore Kacie Leppla recorded 11.
- Bonner and Sam Filiaggi grabbed five rebounds each.
- Muskingum ended the contest shooting 22-of-59 (37.2%) from the field, which included hitting 3-of-7 (42.9%) from behind the arc.
- The Muskies had three players who registered double digit points.
- Olivia Canning directed the Yeowomen with 25 points.
- Oberlin went 23-of-41 (56.1%) from the field and 24-of-28 (85.7%) at the free throw line.
- In the first quarter, the Muskies and Yeowomen fought neck and neck with neither team gaining more than a four-point lead early on. Oberlin tallied a 9-3 run to put them ahead 17-9. A layup by Muskingum sophomore Camay Baylock trimmed the deficit 15-19 for the Muskies going into the second quarter. At the 8:42 marker, freshman Raiyah Johnson locked in two points to tie up play 19-19.The contest remained tight until the Yeowomen registered back-to-back points to take the lead 34-29 going into the half.
- Within the first five minutes of the third quarter, the Yeowomen slid past the Muskies with a score of 42-36. Muskingum secured a ferocious 12-2 run to tie the score 44-44 going into the fourth quarter. The Muskies and Yeowomen fought side by side until Oberlin locked in three unanswered field-goals to advance with a score of 62-57. Muskingum fought to close the gap, but the Yeowomen could not be halted.
- The Muskies next host Wooster on Wednesday, November 28 for their home-opener. Start time is slated for 7:00 p.m.