The Saint Vincent Bearcats clawed past the Muskingum women's basketball team in the season opener for both teams on Friday evening, 85-57.
- Records: Muskingum (0-1 overall), Saint Vincent (1-0 overall)
- Location: Latrobe, Pennsylvania - Robert S. Carey Student Center
Inside the Numbers
- Sophomore Kacie Leppla and junior Devyn Bonner led the Muskies with 14 points each. Leppla shot 5-of-8 (62.5%) from the field and 4-of-6 (66.6%) at the free throw line. Bonner locked in 6-of-8 (75%) from the field and 2-of-2 (100%) at the free throw line.
- Sophomore Camay Baylock added eight points, while sophomore Sam Filiaggi recorded seven.
- Sophomore Emily Yeager logged a team-high nine rebounds and registered two assists.
- Muskingum ended the contest shooting 22-of-60 (36.7%) from the field, which included hitting just 2-of-16 (12.5%) from behind the arc.
- Madison Kollar led the Bearcats with 29 points, while Kayla Slovenec tallied 12.
- Saint Vincent ended the contest shooting 32-of-79 (40.5%) in the field and 17-of-26 (65.4%) from the free throw line.
At the beginning of the first quarter, the Muskies and Bearcats battled neck and neck with neither team claiming more than a two-point lead early on. Saint Vincent locked in back-to-back points to put them ahead 10-6. The Muskies fought to trim the deficit, but the Bearcats continued to control play. Saint Vincent led the Muskies 18-13 going into the second quarter. The Bearcats took control of the outing in the second quarter with a 31-9 surge to take a 49-22 lead into the intermission.
- The Muskies next travel to North Manchester, Indiana for the 2018 Main View Tip-Off Tournament on Friday, September 16. The Muskies battle Ablion in game one of the tournament.