Oct 13, 2018
The Muskingum volleyball team claimed a thrilling 3-2 (17-25, 25-19, 25-20, 21-25, 15-13) victory over the Baldwin Wallace Yellow Jackets this afternoon.
- Records: Muskingum (20-3 overall, 4-1 in the OAC), Baldwin Wallace (23-3 overall, 3-2 in the OAC)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio – Anne C. Steele Center
- The start of the match was delayed due to a fire alarm.
- The Muskies are off to their best start since 1999 where they advanced to both the OAC and NCAA Tournaments.
- Muskingum stands 2nd in the OAC - just one game back of first place.
- This marked the first five-set match of the season for the Muskies.
How It Happened
- Muskingum slipped in set one (17-25), took set two (25-19) and set three (25-20), fell short in set four (21-25), and captured set five (15-13).
- The Muskies recorded 61 kills, 56 assists, and 88 digs.
- Sophomore Brooke Fatheree led the Muskies with 19 kills, 20 digs, and 21 points.
- Sophomore Kaitlin Goedde added 14 kills and 15.5 points.
- Sophomore Erin Dickson controlled the attack with a team-best 43 assists.
- The backline was anchored by sophomore Jessica Cottle who registered 25 digs.
- Sophomore Maddie Sikorski logged 15 digs, while senior Jordan Youngs locked in 14.
Inside The Sets
- The Muskies and Yellow Jackets fought neck in neck in the first set until Baldwin Wallace was able to take the lead with a score of 15-11. The Muskies registered a 4-2 run to trim the deficit 17-16, but the Yellow Jackets could not be halted. Baldwin Wallace registered the final four points to take the set.
- In the second set, the Muskies came out hot and took an early lead of 12-9. The Yellow Jackets answered back with a 8-5 run to tie up the contest 17-17. After a Muskingum timeout, the tempo of the game began to change and the Muskies registered back to back points to secure the 25-19 victory.
- In set three, Muskingum was able to start of strong and take an 11-5 lead. The Yellow Jackets fought to trim the deficit, but the Muskies continued to control the play. A kill by sophomore Brynn Guist locked in the 25-20 win for the Muskies.
- In set four, Baldwin Wallace took an early 4-1 lead over the Muskies and later expanded the gap 11-6. Muskingum fought hard to close the gap, but the Yellow Jackets tallied an 11-9 surge to put them ahead 22-15. The Yellow Jackets recorded the final point to claim the set.
- In set five, the Muskies and Yellow Jackets battled with neither team taking more than a two-point advantage early on. The Muskies registered a 4-1 run to take the lead 13-10. The Yellow Jackets fought back with some intensity but a kill by senior Miranda Plumly captured the 15-13 triumph.
- The Muskies next travel to Capital on Tuesday, October 16. Game time is slated for 7:00 p.m.