The Muskingum wrestling team finished 21st in the 35-team field at the Pete Willson Wheaton Invitational on Friday-Saturday. Junior Jordan Burkholder paced the squad with an eighth-place finish in the 125-pound bracket.
Pete Willson Wheaton Invitational Highlights
- Burkholder led the Muskies with an eighth-place finish in the 125-pound bracket. He beat Beau Harrier of UW Platteville with a fall at the 4:25 mark and had a 10-2 major decision against Jimmy Murphy of Thomas More.
- Senior Slade Stiles ended the tournament with a 3-2 record in the 133-pound weight class. He notched a fall against Tre Bogetich of Heidelberg at the 1:28 mark and secured a fall against Josiah Fitzjerrels of Wheaton at the 1:34 plateau. Stiles also grabbed a 9-8 decision against Mitch Tikkanen of John Carroll.
- Junior Antonio Zapata posted a 3-2 record in the 197-pound weight class. He registered a pin against Duncan Heath of Milwaukee School of Engineering at the 2:35 point and had an 8-3 decision against Hunter Goulart from Ferrum. Zapata was also awarded a medical forfeit against James Caniglia of Thomas More.
- Freshman Garrett Mitchell recorded a 2-2 record in the heavyweight division. He landed a fall on Jake Peters of Mount St. Joseph at the 1:22 point and had a 7-5 decision against Steve Naldzyhan of Pacific.
- Junior Tanner Walker went 2-2 in the 165-pound class. He opened the invitational with a fall against Joe Vondrasek of Alma at the 5:58 mark and bagged a 4-1 decision against Danny Harris of North Central.
- Muskingum next hosts nationally-ranked Baldwin Wallace for Senior Night on Tuesday, January 30. The match will be held in John Glenn Gymnasium and is scheduled for a 7:30 p.m. start.