The Muskingum women's basketball team dropped a 68-61 decision against Wilmington at home on Wednesday night. The Muskies also held their annual Pink Game to bring awareness and raise money for breast cancer research.
- Records: Muskingum (6-14 overall, 2-11 Ohio Athletic Conference), Wilmington (10-10 overall, 5-8 Ohio Athletic Conference)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio – Anne C. Steele Center
Inside the Numbers
- Olivia Besancon led the Muskies offense with 26 points, six rebounds, and two steals.
- Alexandra Carson accrued 17 points, four rebounds, and three steals.
- Kacie Leppla led the reserves with seven points and six rebounds.
- Stephanie Clark snagged a team-best 10 rebounds.
- The Muskies shot .310 (22-of-71) from the floor, made eight three-pointers, and went 9-for-11 (.818) from the free throw line.
- Four Wilmington players scored in double-digits.
- Mackenzie Campbell led the Quakers with 17 points, while Hannah Binkley and Savannah Hooper each netted 12 points, and Emily Harman posted 10 points.
- Wilmington concluded the contest shooting .409 (27-of-66) from the field, made six three-pointers, and made .667 (8-of-12) from the free throw line.
The first quarter started off slow as neither team could connect on a shot until the 5:39 marker when Wilmington's leading scorer, Mackenzie Campbell, made a jumper. The Quakers ended up registering 12 more points to take the 14-5 advantage at the end of the frame. Muskingum turned it up to start the second quarter as they went on an 11-4 run to get within two, 18-16, with 6:48 on the clock. The Muskies outscored the Quakers, 20-16, in the second quarter, but the visitors still held the 30-25 lead at the half.
Wilmington led by as much as 11 points, 42-31, in the third quarter, but the Muskies fueled a 9-0 run to make it a two point contest, 42-40, with 3:33 to go. Wilmington closed the third quarter by netting a free throw, three-pointer, and a layup to push its lead to 48-43. A layup by Besancon in the fourth quarter found the Muskies back within one, 55-54, with seven minutes left in regulation. Wilmington then went on to outscore Muskingum 13-7 in the final 6:30 to take the victory.
- The Muskies will return to action on Saturday, February 3 as they travel to NCAA Division III #15 Ohio Northern. Game-time is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.