Capital's 24-point outburst in the fourth quarter gave them the 61-53 victory over Muskingum on Wednesday night.
- Records: Muskingum (6-12 overall, 2-9 Ohio Athletic Conference), Capital (9-9 overall, 5-6 Ohio Athletic Conference)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio – Anne C. Steele Center
Inside the Numbers
- Alexandra Carson paced the Muskies with a team-best 20 points, while adding four steals and three rebounds.
- Alivia Bates came off the bench to tally seven points.
- Caitlyn Smith collected six points, four rebounds, and four steals.
- Schyler Fennimore posted six points and a game-high five rebounds.
- The Muskies shot .392 (20-of-51) from the floor and made nine three-pointers.
- Erin Risner poured out 21 points to lead the Crusaders offense.
- Capital ended the game shooting .449 (22-of-49) from the field and .636 (14-of-22) from the free throw line.
The first quarter was an even playing field as each team took turns taking the lead, but a layup by Smith gave the Muskies the one point advantage, 14-13, at the end of the frame. Muskingum started the second quarter with a trey from Fennimore and maintained the lead until Capital went on to outscore Muskingum 7-2, making the score 20-19 at the 6:17 marker. Less than a minute later, the Muskies regained the lead with a three-pointer from Carson with 5:30 on the clock. Muskingum outscored Capital 7-5 in the last five minutes en route to holding a narrow 29-25 advantage at the half. The Muskies shot .478 from the field in the first half.
Olivia Besancon began the third quarter by draining a three-pointer to increase the Muskies lead by seven, 32-25. Capital then registered seven straight points to tie 32-32 with 4:54 left in the frame. Carson netted the next seven points for Muskingum to retake the lead at the end of the third, 39-37. Capital reclaimed the lead in the fourth quarter after outscoring Muskingum 9-5 during the first four minutes of action. The Crusaders ended the fourth quarter outscoring Muskingum 24-14 and shot an impressive .727 from the field to win the game.
- The Muskies will return to action on Saturday, January 27 as they travel to John Carroll. Game-time is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.