Senior Olivia Besancon registered her 1,000th career point off a three-point shot in the third quarter, but the Muskingum women's team fell, 62-43, at Mount Union Wednesday night.
- Records: Muskingum (6-10 overall, 2-7 Ohio Athletic Conference), Mount Union (8-8 overall, 5-4 Ohio Athletic Conference)
- Location: Alliance, Ohio – The MAAC
- Senior Olivia Besancon became the 21st Muskingum women's basketball player to reach 1,000 career points after collecting seven at Mount Union. She achieved the milestone in her 91st game, while averaging 11.0 points per game.
Inside the Numbers
- Besancon ended the contest with seven points and five rebounds.
- Emily Yeager led the Muskies offense with 14 points.
- Stephanie Clark snagged a team-best seven rebounds and two steals.
- Caitlyn Smith added seven points and three assists.
- The Muskies shot .227 from the floor and made four three-pointers.
- Jaime Sanborn paced the Raiders with 12 points, four rebounds, two assists, and two blocks, while Elena Rauhe chipped in 10 points.
- Mount Union finished the contest shooting .373 from the field, made nine three-pointers, and held a 51-43 edge in rebounds.
The Muskies struggled to get anything going offensively in the first quarter as the Raiders took an 18-5 lead at the end of the frame. In the second quarter, Muskingum went on to outscore Mount Union 17-11 and closed off the frame making five straight points, which included a last second layup by Besancon, to cut the Raiders deficit 29-22 at intermission. After scoring the layup, Besancon was one point shy of hitting 1,000 career points.
At the 6:21 marker in the third quarter, Besancon drilled a three-pointer off an assist from Yeager to tally her 1,000 career point. Muskingum got within six points with 2:34 left in the third with baskets from Kacie Leppla and Yeager. During the next two minutes, the Raiders knocked down two three-pointers and a jumper to increase their lead, 46-32, at the end of the third. Muskingum wasn't able to make a comeback in the fourth quarter as Mount Union collected the victory.
- Muskingum continues conference play on the road as they head to Baldwin Wallace on Saturday, January 20. Tip-off is slated for 2:00 p.m.