The Muskingum women's basketball team pushed 18th-ranked Marietta before falling late on Wednesday night, 80-66.
- Records: Muskingum (6-6 overall, 2-3 Ohio Athletic Conference), Marietta (12-0 overall, 5-0 Ohio Athletic Conference)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio - Anne C. Steele Center
- Attendance: 389
Inside the Numbers
- Senior Olivia Besancon led the Muskies with a game-high 18 points. She also added seven rebounds and one block.
- Freshman Emily Yeager scored 15 points and had two assists and one steal.
- Senior Stephanie Clark grabbed a game-high 12 rebounds and chipped in eight points.
- Senior Caitlyn Smith logged a team-best four assists and notched six points.
- Overall, Muskingum shot .339 (21-of-62) from the field and hit 15-of-20 free throws.
- Amisha Herd led the Pioneers with a team-high 15 points and seven rebounds.
- Brooke Borich added 14 points, while Corrie Burkhardt had 10 rebounds and seven points.
- Marietta ended the game shooting .462 (30-of-65) and held a 46-38 edge in rebounds.
At the end of the first quarter, Muskingum freshman Gabbi Blair made a basket at the buzzer to tie the game at 15-15. She ended the contest with five points and six rebounds. Marietta used a 24-point second quarter to take a 39-31 lead into the break. Marietta's surge was highlighted by a 16-4 advantage in the paint.
In the second half, Marietta pushed its lead to 47-32 in the opening two minutes of play. Muskingum repsonded to the Pioneer run and trimmed its deficit to 55-52 on Besancon's four-point play with 1:32 to play in the quarter. Marietta took a 58-52 lead into the fourth. The game remained a close contest with Marietta holding a 63-57 edge with 6:08 to play. The Pioneers took control of the game with a 9-0 spurt over the next two minutes to extend their lead to 72-57.
- Muskingum next hosts Heidelberg on Saturday, January 6. Game time is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. in the Anne C. Steele Center.