The Muskingum women's basketball team collected its fourth straight win of the season at Ohio Wesleyan in overtime, 73-69. Muskingum advances to the Bishop Classic/Hoops championship game and will face Albion on Saturday afternoon.
- Records: Muskingum (6-4 overall), Ohio Wesleyan (1-9 overall)
- Location: Delaware, Ohio – Branch Rickey Arena
Inside the Numbers
- Olivia Besancon continues to have the hot hand for the Muskies as she scored 27 points, hitting 10-of-20 from the field and 5-of-9 from the arc, while adding six rebounds, two assists and two steals.
- Alexandra Carson registered 15 points and five rebounds.
- Dana Parkman tossed in nine points, tied a team-best nine rebounds, and dished out four assists.
- Kacie Leppla led the reserves with eight points and nine rebounds.
- Muskingum shot .333 (25-of-75) from the floor, .778 from the free throw line (14-of-18), held a 49-46 edge in rebounds and hit nine three-point shots.
- Ohio Wesleyan's offense was led by Erin Delaney who scored 23 points, while Elea Karras chipped in 18 points.
- Nicole Popovich grabbed a game-best 15 rebounds for the Bishops.
- Ohio Wesleyan finished the contest making .382 (26-of-68) from the field.
The Muskies held the largest lead in the first quarter, 14-8, with 2:35 remaining, but the Bishops ended the frame scoring five straight to cut the Muskingum lead to one, 14-13. Three ties and four lead changes occurred in the second quarter, but Muskingum mustered its way to a 26-24 lead at intermission as Morgan Gossett netted a layup and Carson drained a three-pointer during the final 44-seconds.
In the third quarter, Ohio Wesleyan outscored Muskingum, 27-14, to take the 51-40 lead. The Muskies fought their way back in the fourth as they spurted 23 points while notching five straight in the last two minutes to end regulation with a 63-63 tie. With 1:24 left in overtime, Leppla put Muskingum on top, 68-67, off a pair of crucial free throws. From there, the Muskies controlled the remainder of the game as they sealed their fourth straight win.
- Muskingum returns to the court on Saturday, December 30, at 3:00 p.m. against Albion in the championship game of the Bishop Classic/Hoops for Hope.