The Muskingum women's basketball team came out victorious on Tuesday night after defeating non-conference opponent Wooster on the road in overtime, 77-71.
- Records: Muskingum (4-4 overall), Wooster (2-8 overall)
- Location: Wooster, Ohio – Timken Gymnasium
Inside the Numbers
- Olivia Besancon ended the night scoring a team-high 22 points and five rebounds.
- Alexandra Carson accrued 19 points, five rebounds, and four assists.
- Caitlyn Smith poured out 12 points, hitting 3-of-6 from the arc, and six rebounds.
- Emily Yeager led the reserves with nine points.
- Kacie Leppla chipped in seven points, seven rebounds, and three steals.
- Stephanie Clark snagged a season-high 12 rebounds.
- Dana Parkman grabbed 10 rebounds and three steals.
- Muskingum shot .295 (18-of-61) from the floor, .250 from the arc (8-of-32) and made .786 of their free throws (33-of-42).
- As a team, the Muskies finished the contest with a season-high in rebounds (55), blocks (six), and tied in steals (12).
- Anna Gibbs paced the Fighting Scots as she finished with 16 points and five rebounds.
- Courtney Lockhart and Kylie Orr came off the bench to each tally 10 points, while Lockhart ended with a team-best 12 rebounds.
- Wooster shot .333 (25-of-75) from the floor, .364 (8-of-22) from the arc, and .520 from the free-throw line (13-of-25).
Back-to-back-to-back three pointers by Smith and two from Besancon, in the first five minutes, got Muskingum off to a stellar start in the first quarter as they finished the frame with a 17-5 advantage. Smith drained another three-pointer in the first minute of the second quarter and the Muskies offense continued to roll. Muskingum went on to score 11 more points to take the 30-16 lead at intermission.
The third quarter was a much different story for the Muskies as they struggled offensively only scoring eight points to Wooster's 18. The Fighting Scots scored six points in the final 1:42 to cut the Muskies lead to four, 38-34, and ended the third frame making 40% from the field and 50% from the arc. From 8:57 on the clock until the 7:58 marker, Muskingum and Wooster tied the game twice before Wooster took its first lead off a three-pointer at the 7:21 marker in the fourth quarter. During the next four minutes, Muskingum went on a 12-5 run, making it 58-49 with 2:36 left. Wooster went on a run of their own, hitting four clutch free throws, a jumper, and a three to get within one point with 55 seconds remaining. After the Muskies called a timeout, Besancon made two essential free throws with 38 seconds left, but Kylie Orr drilled a three pointer shortly after to tie the game at 60-60. With one second on the clock, the Fighting Scots had an opportunity to win it, but missed the three-pointer, pushing the game into overtime.
The Muskies scored the first four points in overtime to hold a 64-61 lead with 2:39 remaining. Muskingum maintained the momentum and held the lead until the end. A great team effort by the Muskies helped achieve the 77-71 overtime victory.
- The Muskies return to action on Friday, December 22 as they welcome Eureka to New Concord. Game time is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.