The Muskingum women's basketball team played their second straight home contest against non-conference opponent Oberlin in the Anne C. Steele Center on Saturday afternoon. The Muskies came out aggressive in the first half, but Oberlin stepped up in the second half to capture the win, 61-57.
- Records: Muskingum (0-2 overall), Oberlin (1-1 overall)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio – Anne C. Steele Center
Inside the Numbers
- Olivia Besancon led the offense with 15 points and grabbed eight rebounds.
- Alexandra Carson added 11 points, dished out a team-best five assists, four steals, and added eight rebounds.
- Emily Yeager chipped in nine points, going a perfect 6-for-6 at the free-throw line.
- Dana Parkman compiled seven rebounds.
- As a team, the Muskies concluded the game going 15-for-16 (93.8%) at the free throw line, while shooting 27.3% (18-for-66) from the field, and 21.4% (6-for-28) from the behind the arc.
- Four Oberlin players registered double-digit scoring.
- Alex Stipano paced the offense with 13 points, while Abby Andrews and Ally Driscoll each accrued 12 points, and Tyler Parlor added 10 points.
- Oberlin finished the game making 11-of-19 free throws, shooting 44.2% (23-for-52) from the field, and going 4-for-12 (33.3%) from the arc.
From the 1:23 marker in the first quarter until the 7:49 marker in the second quarter, the Muskies went on a shooting spree, going on an 11-0 run to increase their lead to, 25-11. Oberlin got within seven points after Abby Andrews made a free throw with 47 seconds left in the half. Muskingum closed out the first half with a three-pointer from Emily Yeager to boost the Muskies' lead. MU went a perfect 10-for-10 at the free-throw line in the first half which helped them take a 34-24 lead at the half.
The Yeowomen started the third quarter spurting out 11 straight points to take their first lead of the game, 35-34, at the 6:44 marker. The Muskies and the Yeowomen would trade off lead changes from that point forward, leaving a 47-47 deadlock at the end of the third. Oberlin jumped into the fourth quarter and never looked back, as they held the lead the rest of the contest. Oberlin shoot 66.7% from the field in the fourth quarter to Muskingum's 25% to claim the win
- Muskingum will wrap-up its three-game home stretch on Wednesday, November 22 against non-conference opponent Manchester. The Community Day game will tip at 3:00 p.m. and feature free admission for all fans.