The Muskingum women's basketball team hosted non-conference opponent Kenyon in the Anne C. Steele Center on Wednesday night, but fell in a tough battle, 65-55. The game marked the season-opening contest for both teams.
- Records: Muskingum (0-1 overall), Kenyon (1-0 overall)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio – Anne C. Steele Center
Inside the Numbers
- Dana Parkman finished with a team-high 19 points, shooting 7-of-11 from the field (63.6%) and 4-for-6 (66.7%) at the free throw line, while also logging in seven total rebounds and three assists.
- Emily Yeager added 10 points, three rebounds, and two assists.
- Caitlyn Smith and Stephanie Clark each chipped in eight points, while Clark grabbed a team-best 11 total rebounds.
- Olivia Besancon notched five total rebounds.
- Muskingum ended the contest shooting 18-of-53 (34%) from the field, which included hitting just 4-of-25 from behind the arc.
- Kenyon saw three players in double figures.
- Paige Matijasich led Kenyon with 17 points, while Jessica Gerber added 13 points, and Lane Davis tallied 11 points.
- The Purple and White concluded the contest shooting 25-of-58 (43.1%) fropm the floor and held a slight 41-35 edge in rebounds.
The first quarter started as a back-and-forth battle between the two squads, but the visitors took a five-point advantage at the end of the first quarter, 18-12. Kenyon soared in the start of the second quarter, as they gathered a 32-18 lead at the five-minute marker. The Muskingum defense held Kenyon to scoring just five points for the remainder of the second, while the Muskies collected six points of their own. The Purple and White led 38-25 at the intermission and finished the second quarter shooting 56.3% from the field.
In the third quarter, the Muskies got within six points, 48-41, at the three-minute marker, but a pair of made free throws and a jumper by Kenyon increased the lead to 52-42 at the end of the third. With 3:25 left in the contest, Alexandra Carson collected a pair of free throws to cut the Muskingum deficit down to five, 55-50. However, the Muskies went 0-for-3 from the floor and had a turnover over their next several possession as Kenyon extended its lead en route to the road win.
- Muskingum will continue play at home as they welcome non-conference opponent Oberlin to the Anne C. Steele Center on Saturday, November 18. Game time is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.