Feb 01, 2017
The Muskingum women's basketball team staged a fourth-quarter comeback that fell short Wednesday evening as Wilmington knocked off the Muskies in overtime, 80-76.
- Location: Wilmington, Ohio - Hermann Center
- Records: Muskingum (10-10 overall, 6-7 Ohio Athletic Conference), Wilmington (14-6 overall, 10-3 Ohio Athletic Conference)
- Senior Mallory Taylor recorded her fourth double-double of the season netting 18 points and grabbing a team-high 11 rebounds.
- Junior Caitlyn Smith finished with a team-high 19 points and dished out two assists.
- Muskingum junior Alexandra Carson added 11 points, shooting a perfect 4-for-4 (1.00) from the free throw line.
- As a team, the Muskies shot 25-for-71 (.352) from the floor and connected for six three-pointers.
- Wilmington was led in the contest by Mackenzie Campbell with 19 points.
- Brittaney Jefferson added 15 points for the Quakers.
- Wilmington edged the Muskies in rebounds by a 55-43 margin.
Inside the Numbers
- In the opening period, the two teams exchanged points for several minutes before a pair of free throws by junior Olivia Besancon in the final seconds knotted the score at 13-13.
- The Muskies came out firing in the second period sinking three three-pointers to claim the 32-29 halftime lead.
- Wilmington led most of the second half outscoring the Muskies 17-10 in the third period to capture the 46-42 advantage.
- Muskingum regained the lead, 58-56, following a jumper by freshman Shelby Moses with 3:10 to play in the contest.
- The Quakers used a transition layup with 20 seconds remaining to force overtime.
- Wilmington shot 7-for-8 (.750) from the free-throw line in extra time to seal the win.
- Muskingum returns to action Saturday, February 4 as they welcome nationally-ranked Ohio Northern to the Anne C. Steele Center. Game time is set for 3:00 p.m. The Muskies will also be holding its annual Pink Game.