The Muskingum men's soccer team opened up Ohio Athletic Conference (OAC) play against unbeaten Heidelberg at North Athletic Turf Field on Saturday evening. After being down 2-0 in the second half, the Muskies' battled hard but fell short, 2-1.
- Records: Muskingum (2-7-1 overall, 0-1 OAC), Heidelberg (8-0 overall, 1-0 OAC)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio – North Athletic Turf Field
How It Happened
- On a corner kick, Heidelberg's Kiki Alvarado found teammate Chase Paulson, who then headed the ball into the net, making it 1-0 at the four-minute marker.
- The Muskies had four shot opportunities in the first half, but couldn't collect a goal, making it 1-0 at intermission.
- At the 59-minute marker, Heidelberg's Cory Gilbert passed the Muskingum backline to tally his fourth goal of the season, pushing the lead to 2-0.
- Muskingum fought back to cut the lead in half at the 82-minute marker when Chase Michael Hilliard dribbled down the right side to beat the Heidelberg defender and blasted a shot to the far post to make the score 2-1.
- The Muskies shot three times during the last seven minutes of play but weren't able to register another goal, giving Heidelberg the 2-1 victory.
- Goalkeeper Josh Routte played all 90 minutes in the frame and blocked some key shots throughout the contest.
- Heidelberg's goalkeeper Jake Kress saw 90 minutes of action in the frame and grabbed four saves.
- Muskingum continues OAC action at home on Tuesday, October 3 against Marietta. Kick-off will start at 4:00 p.m.