The Muskingum football team registered its first season-opening home-shutout win since 1996 after blitzing Waynesburg 19-0 in McConagha Stadium on a wet Saturday afternoon.
- Records: Muskingum (1-0 overall), Waynesburg (1-0 overall)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio - McConagha Stadium
- Weather: 61 degrees, overcast and rain
- Attendance: 1,210
- Muskingum notched its first shutout to start a season since 2001 when the Muskies beat Mt. St. Joseph, 22-0.
- The win marked Muskingum's first season-opening home-shutout victory since 1996 when the Muskies beat Denison, 33-0.
How It Happened
- Muskingum struck first in the waning seconds of the first half on a two-yard touchdown run by freshman quarterback Brody Hahn. The score capped off a four-play, 58-yard drive. The touchdown was setup by a 43-yard catch and run by junior wide receiver Darius Hayes-Carruth from Hahn.
- The Muskies extended their lead to 10-0 at the 9:49 mark of the third quarter on freshman Austin Alice's 28-yard field goal. The score ended an 11-play, 48-yard drive.
- Alice added his second field goal of the contest late in the third quarter on a 27-yard boot to push the Muskie advantage to 13-0.
- Sophomore Bernard Johnson completed the scoring with a career-best 67-yard burst at the 7:41 point of the fourth quarter to give Muskingum a 19-0 lead. Johnson ended the game with a career-high 125 yards of 20 carries, with one score. He averaged 6.2 yards per tote.
Inside The Numbers
- Muskingum's defense held the Yellow Jackets to just 114 yards of offense on 71 plays. The Muskies forced two fumbles, notched two interceptions and recovered one fumble.
- Senior defensive end Chris Weck led the defensive effort with nine stops, three tackles for loss for 13 yards and one sack. He also had one interception.
- Junior linebacker Brandon Schon tallied eight tackles and 2.5 tackles for loss for 17 yards.
- Sophomore defensive back Trocon Keneah and senior linebacker Mick Fishel each logged seven stops. Fishel also recorded one sack and forced one fumble.
- Hahn ended his collegiate debut going 10-of-24 for 120 yards. He also added 48 yards on the ground with one score.
- Hayes-Carruth led the receivers with four grabs for 61 yards.
- Senior Damon Jones had two catches for 51 yards. He now stands at 994 career receiving yards.
- Muskigum's offense churned out 283 yards (156 passing/127 rushing) on 71 plays. The Muskies averaged 4.0 yards per play.
- Muskingum also ended the game with a 34:23-25:37 advantage in time of possession.
- Waynesburg was led by Tyler Perone who went 11-of-36 for 96 yards, with two interceptions.
- Austin Wilson led the Yellow Jacket rushers with 28 yards on 10 carries.
- Brent Blacharczyk logged a game-high 13 tackles to pace Waynesburg.
- Muskingum next travels to Ohio Athletic Conference foe Otterbein on Saturday, September 9. Game time is slated for 1:30 p.m.